The City of Dexter is seeking an energetic, highly organized, and self-motivated Assistant Planner. Under the supervision of the Community Development Manager, this position will be tasked with responsibilities such as managing and implementing projects related to land use planning, plan implementation, permitting, code enforcement, site inspections, and committee management. In addition, the City is currently experiencing significant redevelopment, in and around the downtown.
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in urban planning, public administration, business administration or a related field.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local laws governing community planning and zoning.
- Knowledge of modern principles and practices of city planning, community development, zoning, and redevelopment.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of, and the ability to learn, various information technologies and software.
- Reliable Transportation
- Ability to attend meetings scheduled at times other than normal business hours, travel to other locations within the City and State.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks accurately and efficiently under time constraints.
- Ability to gather and analyze data for the purpose of preparing accurate and timely reports, recommendations, memoranda, letters, and responses to requests for information.
- Ability to communicate and present information effectively both in verbal and written manner to varied audiences.
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Possess a Master’s Degree in urban planning or public administration from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in municipal or urban planning.
- Considerable ability to exercise equitable and mature judgment in analyzing problems and recommending solutions.
Regular office hours are Monday – Friday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Attendance may be required at meetings held before or after normal working hours.
A cover letter, application, and resume should be sent no later than 5:00pm on Thursday, July 19, 2018, to the attention of Justin Breyer, Assistant to the City Manager/Clerk at 8140 Main St., Dexter, MI 48130, Jbreyer@DexterMI.gov. Candidates may also contact the City Offices by phone at 734-426-8303 for more information.
The Employment Application may be found at the following link: http://dextermi.gov/sites/dextermi.gov/files/client_files/forms/employment_application_3.pdf